Saturday 17 September 2011

A ruined dial

I have started making parts for No.1-04. The movement ring is done. I am working on the dial now. Everything was going well till I started drilling the minute markers. Halfway through I had an uneasy feeling about some of the earlier holes I had drilled (the holes are not clearly visible while drilling since they are under a paper template). This is what I found under the template-
If you look carefully you will notice that some of the holes at the six o'clock position (in the image) are a bit dodgy.

Here is a close up-
They are elongated. These holes are 0.4mm Dia. The problem was that I had allowed the drill bit to project too much out of the drill chuck. A 0.4mm bit will certainly flex when you drill brass.

Here is a closer look at the offending holes-

There is nothing else for it but to start over. Silly mistakes can sometimes cost an entire days work.

Aditya

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea how much a little mistake can cost. I hope you had better luck with your next dial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a part of making things by hand. Sometimes things do not go the way you want them to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Aditya,
    I have been trying to leave comments,for several months,but have had access problems.Have still followed all your watchmaking with great interest,i lookforward to watching your latest.
    Best Regards,
    Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Russ,
    Nice to hear from you. I have been busy as you shall see! Why don't you tell us what your incoming grail is? :-)
    Kind regards,
    Aditya

    ReplyDelete